500g / 18 ozs self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
100g / 3½ ozs caster sugar
Small pinch of salt
100g / 3½ ozs butter
300 mls / 100 fl ozs full cream milk
2 drops of vanilla essence
140g / 5 ozs cherries
1) Sieve the dry ingredients together then d rub in the butter to a sandy texture.
2) Add the sugar and salt.
3) Pour in the milk together with the vanilla essence, gently mix into the dry ingredients, and add the sultanas if using them then lightly mix together.
4) Add more milk if necessary.
5) Using a little flour, knead for 30 seconds then roll out x 2·5cm / 1inch thickness, cut out as desired, lightly re-mix the trimmings and re-cut.
6) Place onto a greased baking sheet, egg wash.
7) Bake at the top of the oven at gas 6-7 / 200-220°c for 10-12 minutes until golden brown, cool and serve.